Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring is Coming!


Despite the fact that the weather seems to just want to keep snowing, spring is definitely approaching, and I am so SO excited!!

Last year I tried to grow my own herbs from seed, and despite initially being successful, all of my plants died except for my oregano. It was very sad. :(

But this year I am determined to be successful! Having an endless supply of fresh herbs to cook with would be amazing - buying them fresh or dried for the grocery store can get really expensive. This year I will grow basil, sage, and curly parsley. Wish me luck! ^_^

TIP: Don't buy herbs already grown from the grocery store. They almost always have something wrong with them. I bought some thyme after growing my other herbs from seed, and they all came down with a fungus. It was very sad and very gross :'(

In the meantime, here are some photos of my babies from last year:

You wouldn't know it to look at them, but there are baby plants in
there! Apparently when starting a nursery, you're supposed to grow
the baby plants in mini-eggcup sized containers covered in plastic
and then transfer them to their larger, permanent homes once they
have grown a bit. I skipped that step and it seemed to work fine!

Some junior herbs! The basil particularly loved this window.

My little oregano finally starting to grow. This guy was a late
bloomer, and yet somehow managed to be the only surviving
herb!

My herbs looking more grown up. This is right before they caught a
fungus from my store-bought thyme. This is why you grow plants
from seed.

Ah me! Love can not be cured by herbs. 
- Ovid

No comments:

Post a Comment